Updated March 2022.
Ethereum was launched in 2015 as the Ethereum Virtual Machine. The goal of Ethereum’s blockchain is to build a platform that makes it easier for developers to create and deploy decentralized applications.
Ethereum as an infrastructure layer, or a base protocol, created a system for writing and executing smart contracts (which are essentially programmable rules that executed when certain conditions are met). The smart contracts, in turn, enable the creation of decentralized applications.
Ethereum’s platform provides the foundation for other projects to launch tokens without having to rebuild a blockchain from scratch. Instead, using standards developed by the Ethereum community, like ERC20, projects such as Augur, Golem, OmiseGo (all of which are also listed on Abra) are able to use Ethereum as a foundation and then build their own economies and communities.
The popularity and ease of use of Ethereum’s platform to launch other projects led to a boom in the creation of new tokens, especially during the last 18 months. Known as initial coin offerings (ICOs), projects have been able to build their idea on Ethereum (or at least pitch their idea that is made possible by Ethereum) and raise money through a token sale.
One other noteworthy aspect of Ethereum is that it is known for its strong and rapidly growing developer community. These developers are building all kinds of projects ranging from media and gaming companies to ways to protect digital identity and property to futures markets and decentralized exchanges.
In the few years since its launch, Ethereum has grown to be the second largest cryptocurrency by market cap, with 117.5 million as of a few months ago.
Now that Abra has enabled native Ethereum support it will be a much more streamlined process to add more ERC20 tokens in the near future, so stay tuned.
Reasons to use an Abra wallet to buy Ethereum
Unlike other investment apps, cryptocurrency exchanges, or wallets, Abra is simple to use and has loads of unique features:
- Simple and accessible: Abra is available in 155 countries around the globe. All that’s required to set up a unique and secure wallet is an iPhone or Android phone. Abra is an ideal wallet for developers building on Ethereum or Bitcoin as it’s incredibly accessible to the average consumer.
- Decentralized: Abra is based on a non-custodial architecture meaning Abra doesn’t control or have access to users’ funds. Instead, they are secured on the blockchain and accessible only by a user’s unique recovery phrase.
- Crypto-backed: The tech underlying Abra also makes it unique and globally accessible. Most of the assets available to invest via the app are synthetic assets, which are made possible by Abra’s creation of crypto-collateralized contracts (C3). This functionality takes advantage of the programmable aspects of Bitcoin, and makes the underlying investment as secure as the blockchain, and easily tradeable.
- Liquidity: Sending money (in crypto or fiat formats) to another Abra user is easy. The best part is that you can send one kind of asset and they can receive it as another kind (like send Bitcoin and receive Euros), across the room, borders, or the planet. Abra also makes depositing funds either via bank wire, cards, or an external crypto wallet as easy as a couple of clicks.
- Powerful portfolio: Abra supports many crypto and fiat currencies. Additionally, Abra users can gain exposure to the price movements of Ethereum by investing in the BIT10, the world’s first easily accessible crypto index. The index tracks weighted percentages of the top ten cryptocurrencies by market cap. Ethereum, because of its position in the overall cryptocurrency market cap, has historically held a large position by weight in the BIT10 index.
Join our community and find more people achieving their financial goals through crypto.
Download the Abra app and conquer crypto today!Download App
Established in 2014, Abra is on a mission to create a simple and honest platform that enables millions of cryptocurrency holders to maximize the potential of their assets. Abra enables both individuals and businesses to safely and securely buy, trade, and borrow against cryptocurrencies – all in one place. Abra’s vision is an open, global financial system that is easily accessible to everyone.
Based in the United States, Abra is available in over 150 countries and makes it easy to convert between crypto and a wide variety of local fiat currencies. With over 2MM customers, $7B in transactions processed, and $1.5B in assets under management, Abra continues to grow rapidly. Abra is widely loved and trusted – in April 2022, pymnts.com reviewed and rated Abra amongst the top 5 most popular crypto wallets in the market. Abra is backed by top-tier investors such as American Express Ventures and First Round Capital.
How Abra Protects Your Funds
Abra places clients’ financial objectives and security first. Abra practices a culture of risk management across all levels and functions within the organization.
Abra employs a state-of-the-art enterprise risk management framework that comprises a comprehensive set of policies, procedures, and practices detailing all applicable risk-related objectives and constraints for the entirety of the business. Abra has instituted a complete set of requisite systems and controls that continuously enforce these policies, procedures, and practices to manage all operations, including credit and lending. Abra’s independent Risk Committee comprises experienced compliance, risk, securities, and fraud operations professionals with backgrounds in industries ranging from traditional and digital assets banking, payments, remittance, to fintech.
Please visit our FAQ to learn more.